November 18, 2022

God Always Continues To Be What He Is

While We Continue To Become What We Are Not.

~Saint Gregory of Nyssa~

There are some truths that leave you breathless upon being spoken, and create a petrified moment. Such a truth is the divine display of God who declares that He Is and what He Is. He is the I AM.


Exodus 3:13-14 - Then Moses said to God, “Behold, I am going to the sons of Israel, and I shall say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you.’ Now they may say to me, ‘What is His name?’ What shall I say to them?” “I AM WHO I AM”; and He said, “Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’

  

Moses found himself in terrifying proximity to the one true God, the only wise God. God reveals to Moses both His existence and His essence by declaring His name to be, Yahweh - I AM. It is this truth that surely left Moses breathless and certainly created a petrified moment. The profoundness of the pronouncement is understood in that the subject is contained in the predicate- I Am.


This self-disclosure and self-description of our Lord is both a manifested mystery that is mesmerizing to our minds and a marvelous comfort to our hearts. The New Testament adds to our understanding of His name by declaring that He is the one who was and is and will be.

The simplicity of this sublime statement says it all.


Philosophers, having nothing to say, say it with great eloquence.



Our God has said it all.


He is there for you. And He is not silent!


Serving Him with you

Until He comes for us,


Fred