Having been a pastor, a professor, and an apologist for half a century, I can't help but observe and sense that we are entering into an age of doubt and despair. That's not to say there are no signs of renewal or reasons for hope in certain areas. But I see so many signals of God being severed from our society and culture. As Nietzsche insightfully stated, “When the world discovers that God is dead, there will be universal madness.” The fact is, Nietzsche is dead, Jesus is alive, but we still have a sense of madness permeating our culture.
I know many believers who still believe, in spite of evidence to the contrary. But I also know many who need to believe again. Doubt has disenchanted them from truth. Despair has deprived them of delight. Culture has corrupted their confidence in Christ. They find themselves torn and in two minds, which is what doubt actually is all about.
I doubt that the days are going to get better. But they do not need to, because as the second law of spiritual expansion says: The greater the heat, the greater the expansion. We call it the Great Commission. Remember, with God there are no accidents, only divine incidents.
“And lo, I am with you always.”
Serving Him with you Until He comes for us, Fred |