September 6, 2024

The Grand Departure - The New Beginning

In a few hours, I will attend a memorial service for a dear friend. He has departed and is with the Lord. If ever the label “a good man” was true, Mike was it.


I had the privilege of serving under and learning from Mike about how to be a pastor. He taught me the pragmatics of how to do weddings and funerals. He demonstrated how to work with leaders. He showed me how to love people, even when they were prickly.


But more importantly, Mike taught me how to be a father and a husband. He taught me how to be positive and laugh. He taught me never to give up.


Mike has died, but more accurately he has departed this life for a new beginning. He has been released from “the long slow goodbye “ and has been given an abundant entrance into the eternal kingdom of God.


The dash on the tombstone is the great equalizer. Death is one for one. But as we know, Jesus defeated death and conferred eternal life to all those who believe in Him for it.


It is good to go to the house of mourning for it gives us the opportunity to reflect on things that are eternal.



Serving Him with you

Until He comes for us.

Fred