May 12, 2023

“Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are our own fears.”

-Rudyard Kipling-

This is often true, but I fear that it is sometimes false. My fear today is all too true. It is that the Church has not only become marginalized by its irrelevance, but it has also become the ideological target of cultural cancellation. The irony is that Christianity was the foundation which led to the formation of America.

 

However, in a recent Pew Research study it is reported that evangelical Christians are the most disliked religious expression in America. In fact, many today believe that Christianity is intolerant, irrelevant, oppressive, and in fact, dangerous.

 

The American Church today is in unmapped territory and uncharted waters. The days are dark and the times are troubled for our culture and for the Church. However, from a global perspective and historical viewpoint, has it not always been this way? 

 

As Dostoevsky reminds us, "The darker the night, the brighter the stars. The deeper the grief, the closer is God!" More importantly, as Jesus commands us- “Let not your heart be troubled. You believe in God, believe also in Me.” (John 14:1)

 

Troubled hearts are fearful hearts. Jesus, knowing exactly what His eleven disciples and all of us need in troubling times declared; “Behold an hour is coming, and has already come, for you to be scattered, each to his own home, and to leave Me alone; and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me. These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.” (John 16:32-33)

 

Spend some time reflecting on the following Old Testament passages and how the Lord comforted His people during troubling times.


Don't forget....It's all about Him.



  • Psalm 23:4 - Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me.

 

  • Isaiah 41:10 – “Do not fear for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”

 

  • Isaiah 41:13 – “For I am the Lord your God, who upholds your right hand, Who says to you, ‘Do not fear, I will help you.’”

 

Serving Him with you,

until He comes for us.


Fred