I often engage in creative mental displacement by placing myself in another’s situation. I frequently ask myself what I would have done if I were Jesus, having endured the savage scourging and then stretched upon the cross with all of its physical and spiritual ramifications. I am certain that I would have called the holy angels to gather above and around me, and I would have pronounced to the crowd at the foot of the cross, both Roman soldiers and Jewish priests: To Hell with you!
Love did not do that. Instead, He said, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they are doing.” That is how we know from Scripture that God is Love (I John 4:7-8).
Many years ago, Dr. John Mitchell gave me a good and biblical definition of love. “Love is sincerely wishing God’s very best for someone else and doing everything you can to see that come about.”
Jesus could have called for angels and brought judgment upon me. Instead, he died for me. I guess that is how we know that “God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him has everlasting life.”
How and to whom will I express love this week?
Serving Him with you Until He comes for us, Fred |