September 20, 2024

  The Sublime Balance

There is no question that our sacred culture is becoming secularized. The deconstruction of the Christian faith and its diminishing impact on the culture is clear to all.


In light of this all too obvious fact, I find myself thinking more deeply and hopefully more insightfully about how to be in the world but not of it. How do I speak the truth in love? How do I be angry and do not sin? How do I demonstrate love to those who repulse me?


These are biblical questions that I find more difficult to parse in an imploding culture. I realize that I need to develop a more spiritual focus that results in mental toughness which produces determination, fortitude, endurance, resilience, and biblical love in my life. One of the ways to accomplish this is to demand the time to think and develop the habit of thought.


Henry Nouwen, in his book, In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership, reminds me:


“When we are securely rooted in personal intimacy with the source of life, it will be possible to remain flexible without being relativistic, convinced without being rigid, willing to confront without being offensive, gentle and forgiving without being soft, and true witnesses without being manipulative.”


That is the sublime balance indeed!


Serving Him with you

Until He comes for us.

Fred