March 1, 2024

Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow

~William Shakespeare~

Departing is such blessed sorrow. We often equate departing with death. Death is separation of the body from the spirit. The body ceases to “live” but the spirit lives immortal. Departing for a Christian is blessed because the one who is separated from a lifeless body is also the one whose spirit is in the presence of the Lord. And that is truly a blessing.


However, there is sorrow for those who are left behind. The loss is real, and the pain of loneliness can be palpable. The Bible does not trifle with our emotions or treat as trivial such a reality.


Indeed, this is the description of reality from the pen of the Preacher in Ecclesiastes as he describes how we live our life "Under the Sun." This is the depiction of the consequences of the rebellion of Adam as he chose not to listen to God or trust His word. 


The Apostle Paul, coming to the end of his life on earth, wrote, “The time of my departure has come.” (2 Timothy 4:6)


The Apostle Peter realized "the laying aside of my earthly dwelling is imminent.” (2 Peter 1:14)


I do not know when my departure is due, but I know I have a ticket and it is punched. I also know, as Charles Dickens reminds us: “It is a far, far better place I go than I have ever been.”

 

Serving Him with you

Until He comes for us.

Fred