September 15, 2023

We Are Living on the Far Side of Paradise

Christians are sometimes overwhelmed by uncertainty, atrophied by anxiety, crippled by fear. We know that faith is the answer to such difficult situations that produce these reactions and responses. The Scriptures provide two lines of two faith stories.


This is the faith story we like:

And what more shall I say? For time will fail me if I tell of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel, and the prophets, who by faith conquered kingdoms, performed acts of righteousness, obtained promises, shut the mouths of lions, quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, from weakness were made strong, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight. (Hebrews 11:32 -34)


This is the faith story that terrifies us:

...Others experienced mockings and scourgings, yes, also chains and imprisonment. They were stoned, they were sawn in two, they were tempted, they were put to death with the sword; they went about in sheepskins, and goatskins, being destitute, afflicted, ill-treated (men of whom the world was not worthy) wandering in deserts and mountains and caves and holes in the ground. (Hebrews 11;36-38)


It seems that many times there is a middle ground as Christians can stave off defeat but not secure victory. The result is strategic spiritual ambiguity. Sometimes I find myself “navigating by the stars under cloudy skies,” which feels like I am flying blind. I sense I am in unmapped territory. This is when I need the wardrobe of moral courage.


The Scriptures provide just what I need, for they remind me that I have the Person of Christ and His sinless seed indwelling me. I have the power of the person of the Holy Spirit to fill and guide me. I have the promise that God is the Father of mercy the God of all comfort who provides His personal concern and the power to comfort me no matter what I find entering my life. (2 Corinthians 1:3)


Faith stories are important. But we must remember that Faith is not knowing everything is going to turn out Okay. It is being Okay no matter how things turn out.


Serving Him with you

Until He comes for us.

Fred