August 25, 2023

Eternity in My Heart

The scripture reminds us that with much knowledge comes much pain. I’m not the sharpest tool in the box but I do sense some dis-ease in my heart and my spirit. In the old days, we called it ennui or anomie. Today it is called weariness of the soul. Living in this transient and temporal world can be costly to oneself. And there can be a cumulative effect.


The reason for my weariness is that I know that somehow there is something more to have and somewhere better to be. It is a longing I yearn for. It is a vacuum I cannot fill. It is an itch that I cannot scratch. It is called eternity and it is in my heart (Ecclesiastes 3:11.) It is a spiritual destination, a form of existence, and a sensation that I cannot experience fully here but I will there. It is a place of multiple degrees of dimensions that I can only dream about in a limited way.


As C.S. Lewis insightfully reminds us, “If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.”


"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope." —Romans 15:13

 

Serving Him with you

Until He comes for us.

Fred