July 21, 2023


There has only been one truly serious philosophical problem,

and that is suicide.

-Albert Camus-

I lost a friend this week, a Christian brother who came to the point in his life that he chose death. He loved Jesus, studied His word, and was involved serving others. However, the situation and circumstances that surrounded him finally overwhelmed him. He lost sight of Jesus and lost hope.

 

I have taught Ethics and on the topic of Suicide in both a secular medical school and in evangelical seminaries. I have contributed a chapter in a book. Suicide: A Christian Response: Crucial Considerations for Choosing Life (Kregel Publications, 1998). I have taught at churches and worked with a suicide prevention ministry, and over the years encountered the issue as a pastor and professional counselor. I also have felt the cold reality in my immediate family more than once. The topic of suicide is not simply a professional issue but a personal one as well.

 

Having gone to a Catholic university, I understand the Papal perspective of Moral Theology and the consequences of “Mortal Sin”.  As a Professor of Theology and an evangelical protestant, I also understand biblical truth. The truth is that when Jesus paid for my sin, he paid for all my sins. I am forgiven and I am loved.

 

Why does God do this? Because God is love. And as George Strait reminds us about God’s love, “Daddies don't just love their children every now and then… it’s a love without end. Amen.” 

 

My friend is with the Lord Jesus. I will join him one day. Until then, I have “a reason for the hope within me” to share to others. You do also… I hope.

 

Serving Him with you

Until He comes for us.

Fred