January 27, 2023

“It’s precisely when your ultimate conviction is that there is no eternal, that you’re most prone to absolute ties to the temporal.” 

-James A.K. Smith-


My ultimate conviction is that there is an eternal world. But sometimes the temporal world seems so important and so close, that I need to be reminded by the eternal word of God.

 

Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. I John2:15 


And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 1:2

 

One of the great debates in my head that divides my heart is deciding whether I will live by the “spiritus mundi” (world spirit) or the Word of the Spirit.

 

The words of William Wordsworth remind us:

"The world is too much with us; late and soon,

Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers."

 

The Word of God reminds me in Psalm 119:9-11: How can a young man keep his way pure? By Keeping it according to Thy word. With all my heart I have sought TheeDo not let me wander from Thy commandments. Thy word I have treasured in my heart, that I may not sin against Thee.

 

Serving Him with you,

until He comes for us.


Fred