October 19, 2018

                                      Thy Word is Truth

Have you ever had one of those weeks when you felt God using you in a special way? This week was one of those weeks and I feel so spiritually energized that I hope you will indulge me if I share it with you.
 
This past Monday through Wednesday I was at the National Free Grace Alliance conference in Dallas and spoke on the topic: "Let not many of you become teachers." It focused on the demands of exegesis in the study of the Bible. It was a wonderful time to also see some old friends and sell some books.
 
This week I also started a new seminary term and have the privilege of teaching Bibliology and Theology Proper. What a choice opportunity to teach and train future pastors.
 
Early this morning, I had the privilege of teaching a Bible study in Dallas. Later today I will fly to Houston to teach a Bible Conference over the weekend. I will speak on How to Deepen our Fellowship with the Father.
 
As a professor of Theology it makes sense that I teach the Bible. And make no mistake, I love to do so. But as Chaucer said and coined the phrase in 1386 in the Tale of Melibee, "Familiarity breeds contempt."
 
I pray that my familiarity with the Bible never leads me to be unimpressed or unamazed. The goal of studying the Bible is not to teach or impress others. The goal is to be transformed by the renewing of our minds by the power and ministry of the Holy Spirit as He uses the infallible and inspired Sacred Scripture to conform us to Christ.
 
I hope you are reading and studying your Bible and sensing the Lord utilizing His word in your life.
Always remember the insightful words of Merrill Tenney:  "This book will keep you from sin or sin will keep you from this book!"
         
Serving Him with you
Until He comes for us,
Fred